Oakland Dui Defense Lawyers
DUI is an acronym for Driving Under the Influence. While most individuals who are arrested for DUI are caught driving under the influence of alcohol, there are many who are convicted of driving under the influence of drugs. An experienced Oakland DUI defense attorney can help you understand the penalties you face and can mount a defense against these charges. With the right legal representation, you can avoid jail time and may even be able to keep your license.
Did You Know...
- Drunk driving causes nearly 1/3 of all traffic fatalities in the United States.
- A drunk driver kills someone every 40 minutes.
- Almost every 90 seconds a person is injured in a DUI crash
- Over 1 million Americans are arrested for DUI in 2016.
- In all 50 states in the U.S., including California, a driver can be arrested for DUI if his or her BAC is at or above 0.08%.
- Even BAC levels as low as 0.02% can affect a driver's ability and response times.
- A commercial truck driver with a BAC of 0.04% can be arrested for DUI—even if they are not on duty.
- Minors under the age of 21 are not allowed to drive with ANY amount of measurable alcohol in their body.
- A study published in Drunk Driving states that a first time DUI offender has already driven drunk more than 80 times before being arrested.
- Driving under the influence of drugs accounts for 18% of fatal motor vehicle collisions
- Between 50% and 75% of all DUI offenders, whose licenses have been suspended for DUI convictions, continue to drive without their licenses.
- More DUI accidents occur on the weekends and at night.
- Drunk driving costs each adult in the United States almost $500/year
What You Don't Know!
What many people do not know is that police officers can influence BAC results. Breathalyzers are precise pieces of equipment. Their accuracy is determined largely by proper calibration and by the breath samples they are given. There is a specific pattern that DUI suspects are supposed to blow into the Breathalyzer to ensure the most accurate results. Police officers who wish to make an arrest or those that have not been trained properly may ask you to continue blowing or blow harder in order to falsely raise the BAC readings.
Field sobriety tests are also not an accurate determination of an individual's alcohol impairment. In a recent study conducted by Clemson University, officers were asked to give subjects a field sobriety test and then determine who was intoxicated above the legal limit. Unknown to them, all subjects had a BAC of 0%, yet officers incorrectly determined that 46% of the subjects were legally drunk. That's about as accurate as flipping a coin!
Contact Us for Aggressive Defense
We proudly help clients in Oakland, Berkeley, Richmond, Concord, and the surrounding areas! Call Attorney Nabiel C. Ahmed today to set up a free review of your case at (510) 907-6600. Together, we can start building a solid defense against these serious DUI charges.
We Don't Let Our Clients Down
"Better Than Expected Result"Mr. Ahmed did his thing to make sure I did not spend one day in jail! His ability to explain everything along the way really helped through this stressful episode.- Francisco C.
"Understands and Has Great Communication"He worked hard and diligently while going the extra mile. He was patient and caring during my ordeal and even followed up and checked on me afterwards.- Adarice
"Huge Help to Me and My Family"Nabiel was able to negotiate a great plea and avoid serious charges. This was especially important since we were looking at significant charges despite this being a first offense.- Alex G.
"I recommend Nabiel over the rest!"Mr Ahmed is a very knowledgeable attorney. He went above and beyond to help me with my case. He also gave me sound advice and went over my options.- Marshall