Oakland Record Expungement
East Bay Expungement Lawyers
The Law Office of Nabiel C. Ahmed has served the communities of Oakland and the East Bay for over a decade, providing thousands of people with criminal defense and relief from the Bay Area justice system. People who have been accused or convicted rely on our nationally-renowned attorney, who is included on the National Trial Lawyers “Top 100” and maintains a perfect 10.0 Superb rating on Avvo. If you’re looking for help clearing your criminal record, you’ve come to the right place.
Call (510) 907-6600 to review your options with an Oakland expungement attorney for free—learn what you can do to free yourself from the past.
The first step towards having your California record expunged is to determine if you are eligible to have your conviction expunged. Not everyone who has been convicted of a crime will meet the criteria for having their record expunged.
Those who are eligible to have their record expunged must meet the following criteria:
- Conviction must meet the criteria in Penal Code §1203.4, Penal Code §1203.4a, or Penal Code §17
- You must have completed the terms of your sentence
- It must be at least one year since the conviction
- You cannot be serving a sentence for another criminal offense at the time of expungement
- You cannot have received any other criminal conviction within one year of the first conviction
Once you have determined that you are eligible for record expungement, the next step is to determine which type of expungement you are eligible to receive.
There are three types of expungements available:
- Expungement of cases which included probation as part of the sentence
- Expungement of cases which included no probation as part of the sentence
- Expungement that reduces a felony conviction to a misdemeanor, which can then be dismissed
The final step towards having your California record expunged is to obtain a copy of your criminal record and complete the expungement paperwork. Your criminal record will contain valuable information needed to fill out the appropriate expungement forms.
Experienced Oakland expungement lawyer Nabiel C. Ahmed can help you determine your eligibility, complete the necessary forms for record expungement, and file these forms in the appropriate county. In expungement proceedings, it is important to note that the District Attorney and the Probation Department must also be served the expungement papers.
What California Expungements Can’t Do
When you have your record expunged in the State of California, it is important to know that although your conviction may be dismissed, certain restrictions from the conviction cannot be expunged.
Record expungement will not:
- Remove your conviction from your criminal history
- Reinstate your right to possess firearms
- Allow you to avoid sex offender registration
- Allow you to hold public office
- Prevent the court case file from being in public records
- Prevent your conviction from leading to the revocation of a government license or permit
- Prevent your conviction from being used to enhance subsequent convictions
- Allow you to omit your conviction from applications for government-issued licenses and employment
- Prevent the conviction from being used by the DMV or Immigration
Oakland Expungement Lawyers
At the Law Office of Nabiel C. Ahmed, we have helped numerous individuals and families throughout the Bay Area rebuild their lives after a criminal conviction. Through record expungement, our lawyer can help you put the past behind you so you can focus on your future. Our law firm serves clients in Oakland, San Francisco, Walnut Creek, and throughout the East Bay. Call us at (510) 907-6600 for a free consultation and to start the process of having your criminal record expunged.
We are also available for phone consultations and jail interviews, or you can fill out a confidential contact form. Reach out to us as soon as possible at (510) 907-6600. We proudly help clients in Oakland, Berkeley, Richmond, Concord, and the surrounding areas!
We Don't Let Our Clients Down
"I recommend Nabiel over the rest!"Mr Ahmed is a very knowledgeable attorney. He went above and beyond to help me with my case. He also gave me sound advice and went over my options.- Marshall
"Better Than Expected Result"Mr. Ahmed did his thing to make sure I did not spend one day in jail! His ability to explain everything along the way really helped through this stressful episode.- Francisco C.
"Understands and Has Great Communication"He worked hard and diligently while going the extra mile. He was patient and caring during my ordeal and even followed up and checked on me afterwards.- Adarice
"Huge Help to Me and My Family"Nabiel was able to negotiate a great plea and avoid serious charges. This was especially important since we were looking at significant charges despite this being a first offense.- Alex G.