Skip to Content

Gun Violence Restraining Orders in California

Gun Violence Restraining Orders in California

Has a close family member or a law enforcement officer asked the court to issue a Gun Violence Restraining Order against you in California? If the answer is “Yes” and this person was successful, you may have questions about Gun Violence Restraining orders, what they are and how they work, and reasonably so!

When a Gun Violence Restraining Order has been issued against you, it means the court has issued an order that prohibits you from having ammunition, magazines, and guns. It can also order you not to buy any guns, ammunition, or magazines, and it can order you to turn in any guns, ammunition, or magazines that you have to the police, or to sell them to a licensed gun dealer or store them with one.

Why People Ask for Gun Violence Restraining Orders

If someone was successful in getting a Gun Violence Restraining Order against you, perhaps you’re wondering how this is possible. How can someone get the court to issue such an order against you? If someone close to you, such as a spouse, your child, a parent, a sibling, or grandparent is afraid that you’re going to hurt yourself or someone else, they can ask the court for a Gun Violence Restraining Order.

Not just anyone can ask the court for a Gun Violence Restraining Order in California. Only close family members, people who have lived with you for at least six months, and law enforcement can ask judges to issue Gun Violence Restraining Orders against people who may be a danger to themselves or someone else. Even if someone is not closely related to you but they’re worried about what you could do with a gun, they can still call the police.

Gun Violence Restraining Orders can do a lot, but there are things they can’t do. They can’t order you to stay away from your family, they can’t order you to not contact or go near your children or other relatives, and they cannot order you to move out of your home. If someone wanted those kinds of protections, he or she would have to ask the court for a Domestic Violence or Civil Harassment Restraining Order based on the type of relationship you have with them.

Has a Gun Violence or Domestic Violence Restraining Order been issued against you? If so, contact the Law Office of Nabiel C. Ahmed for a free consultation.