Having a domestic violence restraining order granted against you can have life-shattering repercussions in California. That is why it is imperative to seek the services of an experienced Oakland criminal defense attorney if you find yourself in this situation. A qualified domestic violence defense law firm can defend you against this potentially catastrophic event.
You may be subject to the following ramifications if the restraining order is granted against you:
- The restraining order may be enforced against you by any law enforcement agency anywhere in the state of California that has knowledge of your restraining order.
- Most likely, the restraining order will be filed with the California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System, which will allow the restraining order to appear on your record for up to five years if you are stopped by a law enforcement officer.
- You could be ordered by the court to leave your place of residence, taking only your most personal of possessions.
- You may be limited in your ability to travel.
- You could be ordered to attend and complete an expensive and time consuming 52-week batterers or anger management program.
These are just a few of the impacts a restraining order could have on your life. Restraining orders will show up on a background check and are a matter of public record, available for your friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers to see.